Monday, April 9, 2012

Egg Thokku - Muttai Thokku

For someone who loves eggs, I just noticed that I have very few recipes that involve eggs (not including cakes and bakes here). So my mission now is to add some more egg recipes and I am going to begin with this easy and pretty fool-proof egg thokku recipe.

Thokku is a thick and sour curry (it probably derives from the word thokkai which means thick). Thokku is either made from sour vegetables/fruits or tamarind paste (or tomatoes) are added to make it sour. The vegetables are cooked along with spices and without adding any water. You stir-fry the vegetables until the water (from the vegetables) has evaporated. The thokku is lastly layered with a few teaspoons of oil before being sealed. The low water content and the acidity prevents it from being spoilt. And you should always use dry spoon and dry hands when serving or opening thokku. This is an effective way to prepare vegetables and make them last a little longer.

However, since this thokku is made with eggs, it's not the kind of the thokku you store for weeks or longer but if made without the eggs, it could be kept in the fridge for longer. If you intend to finish this on the same, it's alright if you don't stir-fry the onions and the tomato until all the water has evaporated. I prefer the onions to taste more than the sour tomatoes and only add one tomato. For more sourness, you could add one more tomato.   

22 comments:

Ramya said...

loved the appearance of ur blog..the way the post pops up...very professional..lovely and easy recipe with egg

Amy's piece of cake said...

Har ni haft en fin påsk? Vår har varit mycket skön och avkopplande! Ja, du ändrar en hel del på bloggen :) Är du nöjd nu? Ägg äts en hel del hos oss men det här har jag aldrig hört talas om eller smakat, kram!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

I always love (Japanese) curry with fried eggs or boiled eggs. The mild flavor goes so well with the curry. Your photos look beautiful!

Rathai's recipe said...

Thank you, Ramya. But I know I need to work on the layout. I know it looks like a 12 year old runs the blog. :D

Amy, jag är inte nöjd med layouten alls. Men får nöja mig med det här tills vidare. Jo, jag har haft en lat påsk med god mat. :)

Nami, I love eggs (in anything) and right now I can't have enough of this egg thokku and keep making it again and again. :)

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Just a stunning photo! And lovely recipe~

Mahi said...

nice thokku! I make this as a side dish for Roti's! :P

...and what you guys talking in a strange language Rathai? is it german? ;)

BTW, sprouted horse gram won't taste like Moong dal..like, brinjal won't taste like potato! haha! :) Check if you can get horse gram..it is very nutritious!

easyfoodsmith said...

Love the description of this curry with the spice and sour flavours. Also very well clicked!

mjskit said...

Eggs and curry - that's a new on for me - again! Of course, you know I love eggs and this curry looks so rich and spicy and a depth of flavors. This is one I should be able to pull off! Great clicks and a great recipe Rathai!

Rathai's recipe said...

Thank you Liz, Mahi, Taruna and MJ for your compliments and comments.

Mahi, it's Swedish. Amy asked me whether I am happy with my layout now and I told her that I am not. :)

www.mahaslovelyhome.com said...

delicious inviting egg version.
maha

Deeps @ Naughty Curry said...

i love eggs, this looks absolutely delish!

beti said...

they look delicious! I love eggs however you give them to me, but I would love to try them with this curry

Only Fish Recipes said...

wow...looks super duper delicious dear....love ur clicks !!!

Padhu Sankar said...

Sounds yummy!

hemalata said...

Delicious looking egg curry, sounds so yummy.

Purabi Naha said...

The curry thokku sounds wonderful and those eggs are looking delicious! I HAVE to try this recipe!

Anzz said...

The picture itself speaks a thousand words, and it all sounds the same... EAT ME..! :) Delicious..!

Mahi said...

Long break Rathai? Busy @ the new ofefice? :)

Rathai's recipe said...

Thank you everyone for your comments.

Mahi,

Yup, busy and lazy too. :D I will be off for almost 4 days in a row from this Saturday and hope to post "something". :)

Only Fish Recipes said...

very delicious egg recipe dear...yes I'm currently abroad now...in new jersey !!!

Akila said...

Wow so yummy... just love it... first time here n loved ur space.. when u get time, do visit mine...

Dish Name Starts With L

Regards,
Akila

schmetterlingwords said...

Dear Rathai,

The most awaited Roundup and the announcement of "Hall of Fame" members of Healthy Morsels is now online !
Please accept our sincere and heartfelt thanks by collecting your badge from any of our blogs :)

http://www.leckerandyummyrecipes.blogspot.de/2012/04/healthy-morsels-pregnancy-roundup.html
http://www.schmetterlingwords.blogspot.de/2012/04/healthy-morsels-pregnancy-roundup.html
http://www.tasteofpearlcity.blogspot.de/2012/04/healthy-morsels-pregnancy-roundup.html

Your Healthy Morsels Team !